Support for volumes managed by Symantec Storage Foundation (Verita
Brent
2007-09-26 22:19:00 UTC
When using Symantec storage foundation to manage dynamic disk, DPM 2007 is
unable to see these volumes. This is particularly a problem when using
Symantec storage foundation with Microsoft Clustering. DPM 2007 is unable to
enumerate the file shares or volumes managed by Symantec Storage Foundation.

Has this issue been identified by anyone else, and if so, is there a
workaround.

Thanks,
Brent
Daveg
2007-09-27 02:55:49 UTC
I believe you need to present the LUNs as RAW. DPM will format them
with NTFS and make them dynamic disks. You can then add them to
storage pool.

daveg
Brent
2007-09-27 03:30:00 UTC
I was referring to the client side of DPM when protecting a MSCS cluster
server that is using Symantec Storage foundation as the disk management
system. The storage foundation product provides a way to use dynamic disks
with clustering. When the cluster server is using native disks, the DPM
server understands the volumes, but when the cluster server uses Storage
Foundation managed disks, the DPM server throws an error when attemting to
enumerate the share and volume information of the cluster.
daveg
Daveg
2007-09-28 02:58:00 UTC
Understood. Can you share the exact error? I am not sure why dynamic
disks would be a factor on the client. Perhaps there is another
variable we are missing?

daveg
Brent
2007-09-28 18:56:04 UTC
Here is the error I recieve in the DPM console when attempting to enumerate
the clustered resources.

DPM was unable to protect the members in the Resource group
\\?\Volume{e63fb408-0dc9-402e-b64e-935d05f17fac}\. This Resource group
contains some resources that have dependancies which not present as part of
this group

1) Check your cluster configuration to ensure that shares and disks on which
these shares reside, are part of the same resource group
2) Check your cluster configuration to ensure that the application and the
disks it requires are part of the same resource group

ID: 199
daveg
Brent
2007-09-28 19:27:00 UTC
It appears to be an issue with the enumerating the Resource type:
Volume Manager Disk Group
VXRES.DLL

If I add the disk to clustering as a physical disk type instead of a Volume
manager disk group type, the resource is found.
daveg
Brent
2007-09-30 20:46:01 UTC
Any thoughts on this issue?

DPM appears to be looking at the veritas disk as a local disk instead of
clustered disk.

When creating a new protection group, the clustered disk resources that were
defined as the "physical disk" type are not available under the individual
cluster nodes as available resources as expected since it is a shared disk
and not owned by one node. The same is not true however with the veritas
"Volume Manager Disk Group" type. These resources show up from the DPM point
of view as local resource and not clustered resource.

How does DPM determine if a physical disk is clustered or not? It seems
that either Veritas needs to present dynamic disks in a way that DPM can
understand those resources just like a physical disk, or the DPM agent needs
to understand other disk resource types as a clustered disk type.

Thanks,
Brent
daveg
Jordibe
2007-10-25 13:04:03 UTC
Hi Brent,
we have the same problem with cluster resource on Veritas Volum Manager and
Symantec Storage Foundation, can you solve this problem ?
Any have resolved this limitation with Physical Dics in Microsoft Cluster
configuration ?.

Best regards.
daveg
Asim Mitra [MS]
2007-10-31 10:33:34 UTC
Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. This is not a configuration supported by DPM 2007.

We have received similar feedback from some customers like you. We are
evaluating this scenario for a future DPM relea
--
Thanks,
Asim Mitra [MSFT].
daveg