Library errors (ID 24052)
Brett
2008-02-13 21:26:10 UTC
Currently DPM reports this for any erase, inventory, and back up jobs.

Hardware is a Sony LIB-162 AIT5 Library, jobs have being being written just
fine.

DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive
resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052).

The start of this adventure was a "Drive needs cleaning" message. The tape
was moved into the drive manually. Then the clean drive job was started via
dpm.
The wrong cleaning tape was used, library throws a "wrong tape type error" .

The drive reports happy, sony diagnostic tools read/write from the drive.
Tapes can be moved via the Sony Tape Tool.

The server has been rebooted.
The server has been rebooted with the library off.
The server was rebooted and the dpmdrivemappingtool.exe ran. (BAD) This
caused DPM to see the drive in the library as a single drive. After some
pain, we solved that and are back to our original error.

We have ordered a new shiny Sony approved cleaning tape and it will arrive
tomorrow. But at this point, DPM won't inventory or do anything with the
drive.

This seems like a sync sort of issue, so we ripped out drivers, reinstalled
etc etc.

Still the same problem. Walked through diagnostics with Sony tech support
and they're tools all report the the LIbrary, medium changer and drive are
all A OK and ready to go.

Any insight anyone?
Brett
2008-02-14 18:01:03 UTC
Update:

Insert cleaning tape. Mark as cleaning tape. Start cleaning job.

DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive
resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)

Again rebooting everything, again no change.

Anyone??!?!?
Post by Brett
Currently DPM reports this for any erase, inventory, and back up jobs.
Hardware is a Sony LIB-162 AIT5 Library, jobs have been being written just
Any insight anyone?
Kapil Malhotra [MSFT]

Any insight anyone?
Brett
2008-02-15 14:18:00 UTC
It does.

After reading here, we tried running the DPMdrivemappingtool.exe as a
troubleshooting step. This caused the the tape drive to be mapped as a stand
alone unit. The library then showed no drive.

We were able to get DPM back to reporting the hardware properly not.
Any insight anyone?
Ryan
2008-02-16 00:24:00 UTC
I'm Having the Same issue too! Cleaning job failed and I can't get it to work
again.
Everytime I try to do anything other than a fast inventory it fails with:

The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID 3316)
DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive
resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052)

We have tested the drive using the HP tools. The drive tested 100% OK!

Help! This is our primary backup solution. Ideas?

Ryan
Any insight anyone?
Brett
2008-02-19 16:44:03 UTC
UPDATE:

Here's what we've found so far:

The problem is hiding in the database (DPMDB).

The drive was stuck in an “OperationOccuring” state of 3 (whatever that
means).

To fix the problem I set the “OperationOccuring” field from 3 to 0 in the
DPMDB tbl_MM_Drive

UPDATE tbl_MM_Drive
SET OperationOccuring = 0
WHERE DriveId = 'Problem drives GUID'

After this we were able to do a detailed inventory. And are currently
running a back up job successfully.

Anyone from M$ see any negative fall out here?

To arrive at this spot we; uninstalled DPM and reinstalled (fun fun); with a
new copy of DPM and a new DPMDB, inventory, backups, etc all successful.
Detatched New DPMDB, reattached the original DPMDB, ran a dpmsync. Same
"cannot reserve resource yada yada" error.

The error is not in hardware, nor in DPM (the application). It's living in
the DPMDB, further research found tbl_MM_Drive.

Scanning for hardware changes, hitting rescan in DPM, and the drive mapping
tool all failed to resolve.

We think the inflection point for this error is that an improper cleaning
tape was used. The tape library (SONY LIB-162 A5) threw an "F8" (according to
sony this means wrong media type). DPM went fetal and never recovered.

Hope this helps!
Any insight anyone?
Ryan
2008-02-19 18:26:01 UTC
I managed to find a solution too but I’m not 100% sure on how I did it. I
managed to get DPM to see our tape library as a completely new hardware
device. This caused DPM to setup a new library. I then reconfigured the
protection groups to use this new library and it worked.

I found the setting Brett was talking about and he is correct, the old
library has this set to 3. So I imagine if I did what he suggested that would
of fixed my issue too.