Path FileNames Too Long?
Doug Tinklenberg
2007-08-13 18:11:38 UTC
I have a protection group from one of our file servers that keeps failing
during replication and the subsequent consistency checks. It fails with
this error:

DPM encountered an error while performing an operation for
\\?\Volume{410bb8d6-c11c-411e-ab85-d09ca663897e}\0de5883b-6384-4d95-9011-cd2ce1e5c650\Full\Apps\Imaging\oit-image\Docfinity\msvcrt40.dll\
(ID 2033 Details: The handle is invalid (0x80070006))

I tried to copy the folders manually from the fileserver to the replication
volume and I got an error that the path filename was too long and it
couldn't be copied.

So it appears that the volume path has past the 256 character filepath limit
so that is why the replication is failing.

Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this issue? Why do the
volume names have to be so long?
Brian-US Army
Kapil Malhotra [MSFT]
2007-08-14 05:16:41 UTC
Doug/Brian,

We handle path lengths upto 32K (max supported by Windows) so thats not the
issue here. Explorer doesnt support > 256 chars which is why you are seeing
the error.

We have seen this error reported once before but there was no repro for it.
Do you see it consistently on a consistency check? If yes can both of
download the MPSRPT tool from the downloads areas on connect and get us a
trace of the scenario. We will need a trace of both the DPM and the
protected server (use Add Machine on MPSRPT UI to collect traces from
protected server).

MPSRPT is available on
https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=205&DownloadID=6937 .
In the downloads area of the connect website you will find it listed as "New
MPSRPT".

Once you have the traces, please send me mail on Kapil dot Malhotra AT
microsoft dot com for me to create an FTP share for you.
--
Thanks,

Kapil
c***@gmail.com
2007-09-27 22:49:53 UTC
Post by Doug Tinklenberg
I have a protection group from one of our file servers that keeps failing
during replication and the subsequent consistency checks. It fails with
DPMencountered an error while performing an operation for
\\?\Volume{410bb8d6-c11c-411e-ab85-d09ca663897e}\0de5883b-6384-4d95-9011-cd�2ce1e5c650\Full\Apps\Imaging\oit-image\Docfinity\msvcrt40.dll\
(ID 2033 Details: Thehandleisinvalid(0x80070006))
I tried to copy the folders manually from the fileserver to the replication
volume and I got an error that the path filename was too long and it
couldn't be copied.
So it appears that the volume path has past the 256 character filepath limit
so that is why the replication is failing.
Is there anything that can be done to eliminate this issue? Why do the
volume names have to be so long?- Hide quoted text -
I am getting the same issue but it is only happening on my cluster
volume share. let me know the next steps I need to take or if there
is a fix yet for this.
Thanks
C.Prashanth
2007-10-03 09:05:27 UTC
can you check whether the file on which its failing is containing an
alternate data stream. you can use the streams.exe tool from sysinternals
website to check for alternate data stream.
if its containing alternate data stream then we had a bug in Beta2 which has
been fixed in RTM.
--
Thanks,
Prashanth
Thanks
GeoTech
2007-08-17 01:08:36 UTC
While not a fix for your replication problem, I handle the long file name
issue by using Windows Backup. First I stop replication for this group and
then mount the volume (if you’re not sure how see the DPM documentation) I
drill down into the mounted drive until I get to the root of my data files
and move that root folder to the root of the mounted volume and then back it
up to a file using Windows Backup. It handles the long file names no problem.
After that I delete the protected server from the protection group (be warned
you will loose your shadow copies) and then re-create and restore using the
manual replica creation method. This is how I fix a protected server when the
replication repeatedly fails as it sometimes happens. Ken
kit gath
2010-12-12 11:34:30 UTC
I had the same problem. And www.pathtoolongtool.com helped me.
Post by GeoTech
While not a fix for your replication problem, I handle the long file name
issue by using Windows Backup. First I stop replication for this group and
then mount the volume (if you???re not sure how see the DPM documentation) I
drill down into the mounted drive until I get to the root of my data files
and move that root folder to the root of the mounted volume and then back it
up to a file using Windows Backup. It handles the long file names no problem.
After that I delete the protected server from the protection group (be warned
you will loose your shadow copies) and then re-create and restore using the
manual replica creation method. This is how I fix a protected server when the
replication repeatedly fails as it sometimes happens. Ken
Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Microsoft Silverlight For Beginners
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/training-topic-area/Microsoft-Silverlight/10/Silverlight.aspx