StorageTek SL500: Unknown Media Changer
VinceV
2008-10-29 14:14:09 UTC
I'm attempting to set up the DPM trial on a Dell PowerEdge 2850 with Windows
Server 2008 x64. I've applied all the available service packs.

I've attached the SL500, 4 HP LTO - 2 drives, and a fiber channel array to a
Brocade switch which is attached to the 2850. The Storage Explorer sees all
of the devices and the storage array has been tested.

The Device manager shows the 4 tape drives but lists the SL500 as an Unknown
Medium Changer.

In DPM the scan function located the 4 tape drives and set them up as stand
alone devices, it did not list the SL500.

In researching DPM the SL500 is shown as one of the libraries that is
compatible with DPM.

Can someone point me to a post, page, or other document so I can get the
setup done and start testing?

Thanks!

VinceV
Shyama Hembram [MSFT]
2008-10-29 18:57:47 UTC
Are you using barcoded media? Refer to the known issues @
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795594.aspx#SupportedTapeLibraries
--
Thanks,
Shyama Hembram[MSFT]
VinceV
VinceV
2008-10-29 19:06:12 UTC
I haven't gotten to the point where I've created any media. Although I had
already seen that issue.

This is during the initial setup of the system and the library. I can't use
the drives until DPM recognizes the Library.

Thanks for the pointer!

Vincev
IT Staff
Vincev
VinceV
2008-10-30 15:06:07 UTC
Thanks for the link!

I'm beginning to believe this is a driver issue and after visiting the Sun
site am pretty sure this won't work with 2008 Server x64. I've made a
request for a driver with our Sun rep but their support site doesn't list any
64 bit drivers for that series of tape drive. They do list a 32 bit version
for Server 2003.

VinceV
AWF
2009-01-22 16:34:11 UTC
Vince,

I was wondering if you were able to get the SL500 working with DPM? I am
having the exact same issue. Windows 2008, 64-bit - sees the two drives as
standalone, but not the library. Thanks.
VinceV
Sachin Durge [MSFT]
2009-01-23 06:08:50 UTC
If the library is shown as "Unknown Medium Changer" in device manager, DPM
will not recognise this library, you need a add a driver for this library.
If the libray is unknown and drive in library is recognised by system, DPM
will show this drive as standalone.
--
Thanks,
Sachin.
VinceV
AWF
2009-01-23 13:53:01 UTC
Thanks for the reply. I agree that it is a driver issue. The problem is that
SUN does not seem to have a Windows 2008 64-bit driver for their StorageTek
SL500 library. I'm wondering if anyone has had an luck finding one or
figured out a work-around.
VinceV
Marc Kamstrup-Braad

VinceV
AWF
VinceV
henry abreu
2010-11-02 13:15:58 UTC
Buenas amigo si requieres de los controladores(SL500) para que puedas reconocer tu libreria contactame a mi correo disopongo de ellos para x86 y x64 winodws server 2008 /2003
Post by AWF
Thanks for the reply Marc. Can you give me a ball-park on "very soon"? Like a
few weeks or a few months? Thanks.
FireAndForget Asynchronous Utility Class for SQL Server Inserts and Updates
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/7a22d9a4-59fc-40b0-8337-75c76f14fb3b/fireandforget-asynchronous-utility-class-for-sql-server-inserts-and-updates.aspx