Is there any way to throttle multiple protection agents at once?
Adam Westland
2010-03-03 14:56:01 UTC
Running DPM 2010 RC and whenever I select multiple computers with protection
agents from the management tab, the 'throttle computer' option is greyed out.

I have 549 client computers and don't want to have to enter the throttling
settings on each one.

Please help.
Praveen D [MSFT]
2010-03-04 13:39:32 UTC
Thanks a lot for bringing this into our notice. Currently its not available,
we will take a look into it in future releases. Just to understand the
problem you are trying to solve by throttling:
Are you trying to reduce the data that hits the DPM by all protected
client machines at the same time? DPM has built-in job throttling, to handle
when all client machines hit the DPM machine at the same time. Apart from
it, DPM clients try for sync for every 15 minutes with DPM but if its last
sync happened less than 4 hours it won't sync again. The 4 hours duration
can be changed during the PG creation. Given these feature set I don't see a
need for enabling throttling on client machines. On the contrary if you
enable for all client machines the jobs may take longer to sync with DPM and
end-up preventing other jobs to run. Or do you have any other reason to
control the traffic flow between all client machines to DPM machine, if so
can you please share with us? I Hope job throttling and ability to setup
time difference between two sync jobs should solve the problem.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
Please help.
Adam Westland
2010-03-04 16:50:01 UTC
Hi Praveen,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem that I have is that the majority of our clients are laptops that
are not online outside of business hours so I need to do the initial replica
creations during the day. Without throttling this leads to 100% cpu usage
and as much of the available network bandwidth as it can consume.

I can see how this would be beneficial to get the backup completed in the
shortest time possible, but it renders the workstations almost unusable while
the backup is going on. I've found that by throttling the client's to 20Mb,
it uses very few resources on the client machine and I'm able to get my
backups completed during the day and within acceptable time windows.

Even a way to set this through powershell would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks,
Adam Westland
.
Praveen D [MSFT]
2010-03-17 05:47:43 UTC
Adam,
Can you please mail me at praveend at microsoft dot com. I can share
a script for achieving this.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
.