DPM not seeing disk
Brad Baker
2005-11-13 05:18:32 UTC
When we initially setup our DPM server there was only one basic disk. Since
then we have converted the basic disk to a dynamic disk and created a new
logical drive. When I go to the management tab to select the new dynamic
logical disk, it doesn't show up. I've also tried the "rescan" menu item in
the actions pane but that doesn't work either. What am I missing?

Thanks

Brad Baker
Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD
2005-11-13 05:27:21 UTC
November 12, 2005

What type of a drive is it? DPM will not detect external USB/Firewire
drives.....

What exactly do you mean 'logical'? (I'm not completely familiar with
hardware terminology.) -- The HDs need to be physically seperate.... Is this
the case? Thanks! :-)
--
Joseph Bittman
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Web Site: http://71.39.42.23/
Static IP
Brad Baker
Brad Baker
2005-11-13 10:24:51 UTC
What type of a drive is it? DPM will not detect external USB/Firewire
drives.....
The server has 3 physical SCSI hard drives which make up a (hardware)
RAID5 disk array.
What exactly do you mean 'logical'? (I'm not completely familiar with
hardware terminology.)
-- The HDs need to be physically seperate.... Is this the case? Thanks! :-)
I'm sorry I guess logical disks are a basic disk concept and don't apply
to dynamic disks. From what I am seeing in disk management, there are two
simple volumes. Drive C (my windows/dpm instllation drive) and drive E
(empty)
Brad Baker
coffeelover
2005-11-13 11:40:04 UTC
I think i understand what yu are seeing/doing.
your raid 5 is presented one logical disk to the operating system.
DPM requires separate disks or logical drives.
You could redo your raid 5 layout so it presents two or more logical disks
to the operating system. Partition the first logical disk into c and d and
leave the
second one(s) unallocated which makes them available for DPM to use.

-Patrick-

Brad Baker
Karandeep Anand [MSFT]
2005-11-14 04:48:20 UTC
Brad - do try out this suggestion of presenting 2 separate disks to DPM -
one for the OS/apps and for the storage pool. Let us know if that works for
you.

Thanks,
Karandeep Anand [MSFT]
Brad Baker
Daniel Lai [MVP-Management Infrastructure]
2005-11-13 17:14:28 UTC
Hello,

Thank you for your posting!

DPM can use any of the following for storage pool capacity:

¡E Direct attached storage (DAS)

¡E Fibre Channel storage area network (SAN)

¡E iSCSI storage device or SAN

The storage pool supports most disk types, including Integrated Drive
Electronics (IDE), Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA), and SCSI,
and supports both the master boot record (MBR) and GUID partition table
(GPT) partition styles.

The storage pool does not support USB/1394 disks.

We recommend that you use disks with capacity of no more than 1.5 terabytes.
Because a dynamic volume can span up to 32 disks, if you use 1.5 terabyte
disks, DPM can create replica volumes of up to 48 terabytes in size.

If you have any questions, please feel to let me know. I am glad to be of
assistance.
--
Daniel Lai
Microsoft MVP Program Top Contributor